|Date||Venue||Booking Info||Coaching Day Info|
|2nd July||Felpham SC||Booking open||Coaches: Charlotte Bonella and Tom Scott|
|Charlotte Bonella will be providing coaching and support at the Pwhelli Summer Nationals for the SE regions Zone squad and non squad sailors - booking will open in Spring 2017. For more info please contact "training.SE@GBRTopper.co.uk"|
Please email email@example.com if online booking has closed and you would like to be added to the reserve list for additional places.
16 Places are initially made available and can be booked online using the link at the top of this page. An additional 8 places may be made available if there is sufficient demand and coaches/RIBs are available x2 weeks prior to the event. Generally places will not exceed 24 in total.
Booking will close 1 week before the event or earlier if fully booked.
Cancellations: A full refund will be given if SE Toppers cancel an event. If sailor cancels 2 weeks prior to an event we will be able to transfer booking to another event. After that a refund will only be possible if the event is oversubscribed and a waiting list is in operation and your place can be filled.
The cost of Open Training is £25 per day.
Open Coaching Information
Open Coaching is run locally by the ITCA at clubs over the South East Area. The Topper is an RYA “pathway” class, which means it is recognised as developing the technical, physical and racing skills necessary to succeed at Youth and Olympic level. Our training days are open to all Topper sailors, from improvers to advanced racers so long as sailors are competent to sail a triangular course. Non ITCA members can attend one open coaching event. If you enjoy the training we’d like you to join ITCA for additional coaching & racing.
We aim to have a ratio no higher than 1 coach to 8 sailors, often less, but please book early so that we can confirm the correct number of coaches as early as possible. The Winter 2018/19 coaching sessions will be generally be led by Andy Kerr and assisted by additional experienced coaches. Event specific information is included in event details in the table above.
Here is a typical training day time table
- Arrival from 8:30 (check event details)
- Registration is available from 9:00
- Coaching begins in club house at 9:30 (with boats rigged and sailors in fitness clothing including trainers) On the water about 10:30-11:00 (Weather permitting)
- Lunch at 1:00
- On water 2:00
- Debrief 4:00
- Finish 4.30 finishing time is normally between 16.00-16.30, but this may vary dependant on the weather conditions and amount of daylight
Essential Equipment and Advice for the Coaching Day
- All sailors and on-water helpers are expected to be properly equipped for the day so please check the conditions ahead of time. It is essential that all sailors are dressed appropriately for the winter sailing conditions. Some of the sessions take place at the coldest points of the winter, so to take advantage of the coaching you need to be warm enough. Ideally sailors should be wearing drysuits and layers of thermals, plus proper winter gloves and woolly hats. If you wear a wetsuit it needs to be a 5:3mm steamer or layering system with thermals and an aqua fleece.
- Attached is a link to an interesting article by Dave Cockerill, ex Topper National Coach, about Keeping Warm on the water which covers more than just clothing.
- The day begins with a warm up exercise so remember to bring your fitness clothing and trainers.
- Sailors should bring a pen and notebook to briefings and debriefings because it is impossible to remember even half of the information you will receive, so if it’s written down you can refer back to it. Please also have a drink in all briefings and out on the water with you to make sure you stay hydrated.
- For all sailors under 18 there must be an adult responsible for the sailor during the event i.e. someone who will be at or in the immediate vicinity of the club.
- Parents will be asked in advance to volunteer as crews for the coach boats and for on shore duties so make sure you also are appropriately dressed and please ask if you need to borrow a buoyancy aid. All parents need to help launch their sailors so waterproof/non slip footwear is essential.
James Williamson, SE Toppers Training Coordinator