Toppers are pretty simple boats, but to get the most from topper sailing, there are a few things it’s useful to know. Here we gather together assorted hints and tips to improve your Topper sailing.
Rigging a Topper
- Rigging Instructions and Owners Manual by Topper International.
- An excellent video on rigging a Topper by Flip Foulds.
- How to fit a velcro clew strap.
- A note on clew strap safety originally published in Topper Times.
- Advice on sailing a topper when it’s windy, from ITCA International.
- A video on Topper sail tuning by Flip Foulds.
- Sailing food tips from SE Toppers parents.
- Tallying? What’s that?
- Our advice on what to wear when sailing, especially in winter.
- Keeping Warm by Dave Cockerill
- A Facebook group to buy and sell outgrown sailing gear.
Transporting a Topper
- Our advice on how to get your topper to events.
- Everyone has arrived at an event and realized they’ve forgotten something. Here’s the checklist one of our sailors has to fill in before leaving home.
- Tips to improve your Topper.
- Some notes on what spare parts it’s useful to bring along.
- Hints and tips from ITCA (GBR)
- Teflon Disks to prevent mast foot wear from VR.
- Class Rules from ITCA International. No-one is going to be too fussy about conformance with the class rules at club or SE Toppers events, but if you want to compete in national events, you’ll need your boat to conform with the rules.
- Topper Sail Numbers – class rules about sail number placement.
- ITCA guidelines for sponsorship on Toppers: rules, illustration
- Maintain and Repair your Topper Bailer by Dave Cockerill
- Topper Rudder Blades and Daggerboards by Dave Cockerill
- Topper Mast Cup Assembly by Dave Cockerill
- Fitting upper mast bungs by Dave Cockerill
Where to Buy
- New boats are available direct from Topper International.
- Used boats are available from many places, but Apollo Duck usually has a fair number listed for sale. The best time to buy a good race boat is probably right after the Topper Nationals in August, when the oldest sailors are moving on to bigger boats.
- Used boats and spares are often listed on the Facebook Dinghies and Dinghy Bits for Sale group.
- Hints for Buying Toppers by Dave Cockerill.